Career-specific excursion, regarded as industrial visit for students does a world of good in enhancing career decisions and promoting learning. Many schools have excursions and industrial visit as a part of their curriculum and it goes a long way in enabling participating students.
What is this all about?
The introduction of career-specific excursions is tactical. It is a tactical and strategic form of learning which provides students with an opportunity to learn through interaction with people in the line of work that they (students) are aspiring to follow. They see the work environment as it truly is. They see the risks and the reward of their chosen fields and learn to appreciate organisations better. When we speak of career-specific excursions, it is usually sidelined to industrial visits alone, but it is not exactly so. It could be medical centres or media houses, which are not necessarily industrial. Students with Engineering aspirations will appreciate production/manufacturing industries as it helps them understand the varying roles of the different engineering fields in the production process. Students can make better decisions because they become more knowledgeable.
Benefits of Career-specific Excursions
- It provides students with an opportunity to learn through interaction with professionals
- It gives students a practical perspective of the world of work
- It helps students to appreciate their choice of career
- It helps students crystallize their dreams and aspirations
- It helps students with a more thorough self-assessment